Tuesday, May 15, 2007

O linda Olinda!



Saying good-bye from Praia do Forte and my new friend was difficult but if I want to see some more of beautiful Brazil then I´ve got to move on. I´m in Olinda today, which is 6 km north of Recife and is really charming. It has many things in abundance: churches, steep walkways, colorful little houses and tourist guides.

The guides are placed strategically at every corner of this little town and if they spot a tourist they make a run for him. It is almost impossible to convince them that you actually don´t need a guide. Although, today I went into town a second time they already seemed to know me or word had gotten around - I only got 1 offer.

I´m staying at a very special place here that I had heard about from other travellers. It is called "Casa de Hilton" (Hilton actually being the owner of the place). It does not look like anything special at first sight, but Hilton is the heart and sould of the place, which makes it very special (I´m wondering if the Lonely Planet will pick it up in their next edition, they should!)



The price is reasonable, the rooms are simple, there is no breakfast included but a well equipped kitchen, the difference to other places lies in details like the over 200 DVDs that Hilton offers (last night we sat together and watched 2 movies since it was kind of rainy), the use of the stereo sound system and CDs, the attention and good tips Hilton and the staff of the place offer and: a free 30 mins massage for every guest (I´m not joking)!

This is the address:
Casa de Hilton
Rua do Sol 77
Carmo - Olinda
casadehilton@bol.com.br
(081)3493.2379

Tonight everybody is going to a famous party that takes place every Tuesday night in the historic center of Recife, the "Terca Negra". Will tell more about it the next time I´m writing this blog!

Here are some more pictures of Olinda:

Pernambuco

No comments: