Tuesday, February 09, 2010

How to be Indian...

Certain characteristics of Indians never cease to be the talk of travelers - they bring backpackers of all nationalities (except Indians, of course) closer together, you may talk shop with Koreans or Brazilians alike on the wondrous world of Indian behavior. So if you want to become Indian you might consider adopting the following behaviors...

- clear your throat prolonged and as noisily as possible of mucus and spit the collected matter in front of other people's feet
- burp often and loudly
- wear mustache (male & female alike)
- avoid politeness (exception: salespeople, train your "Hello Madam, look here Sir"), phrases like "sit here" or whistling will do the job
- cultivate lying and cheating
- never carry change (money), or at least always pretend not to
- pretend to be dumb if you don't want to deliver a service (equally: only understand English if you may gain a benefit from it)
- always answer "Yes" regardless of the question asked, support your answer by shaking your head
- consistently get directions and durations wrong (intentionally or unintentionally), if you don't have a clue about the directions you are asked make them up
- when you see a foreigner do not hesitate to force inquiries on them like, "Your name!" or "Which job?" without prior introduction.
(One anecdote on this habit: I was walking by the riverside in Hampi, which is also used by Indians for their morning toilet (i.e. shit), when suddenly a voice came out of a bush "Your country!". It seems to be a reflex in Indians that cannot be suppressed even in their most private moment of taking a dump...)

I, on the other hand, do try to adapt in some ways, if only to be able to advance in my travels and save time. My English dangerously deteriorated and I articulate myself in sentences like: "When bus coming?" or "Me already have dinner", and avoiding yes/no questions at all times.

I also had to reinvent my CV:
Now I am German (Austria is invariably mistaken for Australia and it requires a lengthy geographic explanation to illustrate the difference), I am married (being older than, let's say 18, and not being married is as incomprehensible to them as having no religion), so my husband is at home working, I am traveling with a friend (who accidentally is not with me right now), I am a journalist for a travel magazine, or in tougher situations: I work for the police/military, I have no money.

And now finally, my last photo album on India (including Hampi, Gokarna, backwaters):

India South


Writing this I am already in Sri Lanka - back to civilization, people speak English and sometimes apparently also the truth :)

I will check into the Ayurveda clinic on Feb. 18th, so maybe I can upload some stuff on Sri Lanka beforehand, but maybe I will be too busy surfing the waves...!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Sounds lovely :) though seriously Michaela, you are not giving the racist archetype of the Austrian much of a break! Hope you get on fantastically in the clinc..looking fwd to hearing all, Nina

Edith Ruisinger said...

Hi Michi,

danke für deinen Bericht, ich hab so viel gelacht über deine Schilderungen, v.a. das mit dem Klogehen und dem Lebenslauf fand ich irrsinnig witzig....pass gut auf dich auf und lass weiter von dir hören

Bussi
Edith

Michaela said...

Hmm... wondering what the racist archetype of an Austrian is (am I being compared to a certain historical monster from Braunau am Inn by any chance...?)

To get this right: not ALL Indians I met did all of these things all the time (of course), but whatever happened on an everyday basis made it into this list.

Believe me, in India you are taken out of what you consider reality (or normality or whatever you may call it), many times you go: Did this just happen? Did this person really say/do this? or Shit, I was conned again!

I would also like to add that I did meet very sweet people in India; people are very open and outgoing, they would always smile at you, greet you when you pass them by, kids scream 'hello' from the other side of the street (they just love to talk to foreigners), or if you just look at your map someone will stop and ask where you want to go (Westerners could learn from that; although, as mentioned above, the directions you get are not always the most helpful :) people I met on the trains were particularly nice even if our communication was restricted to sign language and smiling.

Sadly enough, the more touristic a place the more corrupted people get. Things happened that I don't want to write about in this blog, they were just sad (plus they would shed a really bad light on the people here).

Wholesale Printers said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.