Saturday, January 11, 2014

K.L. - Sumatra: Monsoon, bugs and other inconveniences

During the past couple of weeks kind of everything that makes traveling unpleasant happened, so I hope I have everything covered for the rest of the trip now:
Bedbugs in Kuala Lumpur - a sleepless night and 5 days of crazy itching, getting sick with a bad cold and cough, torrential rains for 2 days almost nonstop at Lake Toba, a most complicated roadtrip from Lake Toba to Medan: only minutes before we passed the road got completely blocked by a "tree-slide" resulting in a lengthy detour on a mountainous dirt road, a real offroad experience...


...followed by the longest and craziest traffic jam I've ever been in - we covered 120 km in 13 hours (!). On the next day encounter with stupid local motorbike-taxi guy who wanted to molest me and steal my phone and money (screamed at him and ran away), then, just after New Years food poisoning in Banda Aceh and 4 days later again in Pulau Weh, and all that was rounded off with painful bladder infection - yay!

Luckily I still was able to do a few nice things, for example celebrate Christmas with a new-found friend in K.L. (who incidentally lived in a building with an amazing pool in the 34th floor next to the Petrona towers), climb Mount Sibayak in Berastagi - the volcano next to the one that erupted only a few days later (!). Visit traditional Batak villages on Samosir island at lake Toba in the company of a really nice Italian family who let me join them for a few days, celebrate New Year's eve on a lonely beach with a group of surfers in north Sumatra, visit Tsunami sites and the Tsunami museum in Banda Aceh, snorkel around the island of Pulau Weh, and drink cat-pooh coffee with a lovely girl from Upper-Austria, who I met on the ferry back to Banda Aceh.


Now I had a few days to recover in Bali and so far I have only met great people, so I am really looking forward to my time here. Tomorrow I set off for a trip around the island on my motorbike with only a small back-bag, so no computer and no internet for the next few days.

**K.L. and Sumatra Pics**


No comments: