Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Taking it easy in Morro de São Paulo

Hi again,

today we took all these really great pictures that I wanted to upload to the blog (thanks for all the enquiries for more pictures :) and now the computers in this internet café fail to recognize my camera. Well, some pictures are already on this computer, I'm just going to use them!

I arrived in Morro de São Paulo yesterday - I had to delay my departure from Salvador for, ahem, a very bad hangover after my birthday on Friday.



I don't know if it was the mix from caipirinha, beer and craviño (the latter is evil, some local fruit-schnapps-specialty from Bahia) or if part of it was "traveller's disease", anyhow, I had a lot of trips to the toilet for 2 days.

But my birthday was absolutely great! I brought some Linzer-Torte to school that I had made the day before, all the students from all classes and the teachers sang for me in our break, I got presents (CDs with Brazilian music) and we all ate cake together. In the evening I went to see some Flamenco in the Pelourinho (night-life quarter of Salvador) and went to a private party in a cultural center (it was more like a loft, a really amazing old building).

The next day - despite certain difficulties - I went to see Caetano Veloso. I really liked his show, he has quite some stage personality (photos to follow soon).

My "family" did not want to see me leaving all by myself to Morro de São Paulo so they attached me to a friend of theirs who happened to do the same trip on Sunday. He took perfect care of me with ferry ticket and bus connections, meanwhile my family called about 4 times during the 3 hour trip enquiring how we were. Dalton (the name of the friend) also put me up for 1 night with his friend Liz and I could sleep on her sofa (neither he nor she had met me before, people here are really really amazingly hospitable and easygoing!). They took me out for great dinner and an even more amazing breakfast (do not leave Brazil without having had "mingao de tapioca"!)

On Morro I checked into the HI hostel, which turned out to be a good choice, since a really nice German girl and me are almost the only ones staying there, and the German girl is friends with the Brazilian receptionist. Since my arrival we have been an inseparable trio and we all speak Portuguese (the German girl spent 5 months in Mato Grosso - somewhere in the center of Brazil where no tourist ever finds his way - doing charity work in a hospital, she has loads of very interesting stories about that time). Today we hiked to a beach where there is some special kind of clay that you can smear all over you as a treatment for the skin and hair. It was very nice (afterwards :)



So, now I digested my very large dinner and I can go and get one of the great cakes that the women sell on the street (food will be another chapter here I guess, especially cakes! They are sooooo yummy), and then walk down to Segunda Praia (second beach if you haven't guessed it) to get a huge, hand-made Piña Colada (with hand-made I mean they actually squeeze the coconut milk and pinapple juice in front of you) for 4 Reales (which is about 1 Euro). This is where it's at:

No comments: